Suggestions for cooking mackerel
The BBQ foil method works for cod as well! Don’t recommend cooking cod directly on the grill as it will flake apart and fall though!
Directly on BBQ grill
- Pre-heat grill on high
- Sprinkle mackerel fillets with salt and pepper, steak spice, or your favorite spice
- Place fillets skin side up on grill. As mackerel has omega 3 oils in it, the grill will flare up. This is normal. The fish will stick to the grill initially as well!
- After 5-8 mins the mackerel will no longer be stuck, simply flip the fillets over and cook another few minutes with the skin side down. ENJOY!
On BBQ wrapped in foil
- Pre-heat grill on med-high
- Lay 5-6 fillets skin side down on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a piece of butter to the foil package.
- Fold foil to create a closed package.
- Place package on grill and cook approx 10 mins or until done!
OPTIONAL: You can add sliced onion to the package, or add bbq sauce before cooking for different flavors. I like to make more than 1 package and try a couple of different options!
- Place all purpose flour in a bowl, add salt and pepper and mix together.
- Heat frying pan with vegetable oil.
- Coat fillets in the flour mixture.
- Place in pan and cook until done, flipping halfway.